Welcome

The goal of this blog is to motivate myself and others for further practice as well as provide details that might explain what's going on..


Sunday, September 23, 2012

Karma?

There's recently a lot of karma-related discussions popping up at me everywhere. Yesterday, zen faran from para-web quoted the Jainism definition on karma, which really appealed to me:
In Jainism, "karma" conveys a totally different meaning from that commonly understood in Hindu philosophy and western civilization. In Jainism, karma is referred to as karmic dirt, as it consists of very subtle and microscopic particles (pudgala) that pervade the entire universe. Karmas are attracted to the karmic field of a soul due to vibrations created by activities of mind, speech, and body as well as various mental dispositions. Hence the karmas are the subtle matter surrounding the consciousness of a soul. When these two components (consciousness and karma) interact, we experience the life we know at present.

Herman Kuhn, quoting from Tattvarthasutra, describes karmas as "a mechanism that makes us thoroughly experience the themes of our life until we gained optimal knowledge from them and until our emotional attachment to these themes falls off.

Most likely as a follow-up for the dog tick dream, I had a dream where a cat bit my finger and I knew I had to fight with it for some reason. Tried to do it so that I wouldn't hurt it too much. At some point I found that I had become faster than the cat. The fight ended. Interesting that again, I started spitting blood, though, this time it was after the cat had bitten me. Karma?

No comments:

Post a Comment