Welcome

The goal of this blog is to motivate myself and others for further practice as well as provide details that might explain what's going on..


Sunday, August 12, 2018

Soft supervisor

Something that was nagging me for a while.

I have a student whose thesis I'm supervising. She decided to take a topic that's not very easy and takes a lot of time to get used to. She has a family and a full-time job, so she didn't have enough time to work on the thesis. I told her that's nowhere enough but I lacked the courage to be harsh. She wanted to try and write it anyway, so I tried to shape it to the best that could be done in such a short time. Luckily she requested for a pre-opponent. I picked an old teammate, who basically demolished the thesis and was really pissed at me for sending him such crap. At least this helped me convince the student that she would need at least twice as much work on it to graduate.

By sacrificing myself, I keep sacrificing others as well. If I cared just a little more about my own reputation, it would help others as well. Basically, it's selfish not to be selfish enough.

This realization helped me forgive to my old teammate. It also helped me understand Hyena, who got fed up with me because I failed to realize something this simple. As a consequence of this realization, I had several dreams where I met Hyena and discussed stuff with him. Haven't seen him for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment