Welcome

The goal of this blog is to motivate myself and others for further practice as well as provide details that might explain what's going on..


Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Still on the bridge

About a week ago, something happened to one of our servers (in a server room in another town). Since authentication worked through that one, then all the other services running on other servers were also down. All relevant personnel were on holiday or inaccessible. So, we called some IT contacts, who either were on holiday too, or simply failed to locate the server and then went on holiday. Management dealt with the issue and yesterday we found the server on our desk at work.

Ok, I was a bit surprised about a few details. The first time I noticed there was an issue with the server, it struck me that it's not a matter of resetting it. It felt like a hard-drive issue, which it actually was. Once the server was in our room, we tried to pin-point the broken drive to get RAID working again. I started from the top-most drive, although it felt like the second from top is fried. The second from the top it was indeed. This got a bit creep already, as I started to wonder if I had caused it .. like why would I know so much about this server issue subconsciously? Anyway, had to reconfigure the RAID after replacing the disk. This sort of beats the purpose of RAID, in my opinion. It adds more single points of failure into the design at the cost of removing one (at most). A single drive with regular backups seems a safer solution.

While at the lab, there was another person there. At some moment I got a strong feeling that I would have to go. Double-checked the carpool and times .. nope. Then the other person gets up and says he has to leave, his car is going back to town early.

Bought an ice cream. Ate it while walking home. Somehow I was so occupied with the ice cream bar that I didn't notice where I was walking. At some moment, confusion kicked in because I felt myself suspended in air, off the bridge. Realized I had moved a bit too close to the bridge railing and had a bilocation experience (the body was still walking on the bridge, while a part of me had accidentally shifted out). Had a couple of more consciousness jolts on my way home.

Edit: Oh, remembered another incident. While walking home, I saw a couple on the path (happens often, because I live in a town). Due to eyesight issues, I couldn't determine if the girl was walking away from the guy or not. What made it even more confusing, I got the feeling that they're both going the wrong way. As I got closer, the guy stopped and turned around to look at the back of the girl. He stared at her back, then glanced at me and looked back. Then he started calling the girl (by whistling or something). The girl turned around, looked at him and eventually started walking back towards the guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment